(Please note that this only applies to construction of a single piece of land with tubes 150 mm or less in diameter) The purpose of this question is to determine whether the Severn Trent Water construction team has been in contact with planned or actual work on the ground since 2004, whether or not work has continued or whether a building permit has been required or not. The contact could have been made at the time by the homeowner, a developer or the city council planning department. A construction agreement allows the water company to ensure that the work to be carried out will not adversely affect the underlying sewers and ensures that the water company continues to have sufficient access to the canal for repair and maintenance. If you plan to build nearby or via a public sewer, you should contact the water company before carrying out the work to determine its needs. I have read Thames Water Build over Guide and unfortunately, as shown in the image above, we will need an agreement from them and are not able to certify ourselves. If self-certification is not realistic, you must follow this formal application and evaluation process to obtain our approval for the construction of our pipelines. Building above or near a sewer pipe could damage the pipe itself or your home. This can lead to higher costs for our customers and serious disruption. Therefore, if there are pipelines on your property, you should consider the position, size and design of your work before you start and contact us before work begins.

For work in Birmingham and the West Midlands, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, please email net.dev.west@severntrent.co.uk. We are responsible for the protection and maintenance of sewers on our territory and it is really important that we protect them for all our customers and future generations. Sewers are often within the confines of private property and sometimes close to buildings. Construction work can affect these sewers and it is our responsibility to ensure that they are not damaged and we can continue to access them for future maintenance work; These are our hidden treasures. If you are able to meet all the requirements safely, your project will be automatically approved (with limited exceptions). This only applies to construction of a single piece of land with pipes 150 mm in diameter or less. For all that is larger, you must complete a formal application form. What baffled me was that we have to make at least one, if not two, connections to the sewers we are building, one for the bathroom and the cleaning room and the other for the new kitchen. The former could use the connections, as we saw in the well, but could we connect to the sewers with a running-through eye or a dead leg there rather than a well? It is our duty to maintain sewers in our area and keep them safe for you and for future generations. It is a job that is always a top priority. Without our advice and planning permission, your home could be damaged by our sewers, causing flooding and even collapsing.

It can also make selling your home more difficult than you think. By keeping the loop and going through the right application channels, not only will protect the sewers, it will also keep your home safe. For more information on building public sewers, please visit this page on The Severn Trent Water Website The 2011 Private Sewer Transfer has seen the majority of private sewers and cash flows transferred to England and Wales into the public domain. Thousands of kilometres of pipes – repaired and maintained by the owners (often without their knowledge) were under the jurisdiction of water companies. While this was undoubtedly good news for the owners, it created a kind of legal shade zone when these sewers were built by their former owners.